TEN IS THE NUMBER
Thinking about the top ten list discussion in yesterday's post, it occurred to me that there are what I call "info-blogs" that we rely on in addition to "personal" blogs, be they A-list or not. Info blogs provide tidbits of news on specific topics of interest, with helpful links for more info if needed.
The epitome of A-list "info-blogs" include sites like Slashdot, Boing Boing, Gizmodo, Engadget and many others across a range of vertical interest categories. If you're a regular blogger, you know about most of them.
If you're not, you can get to most of them using lists like the Technorati Top 100, and the lists and meme started by Laurence Simon and Steve Rubel respectively, that's resulted in a 10Blogs tag by Technorati.
So, in the spirit of yesterday's "anti-blog" theme, I decided to look through my blogroll of over 800 sites for the top ten, LESSER KNOWN, but again, no less worthy "info-blog" sites. Here are my self-imposed rules for this list.
- These "info-blogs" may not be the "best" in their categories, since I can't claim to have done a comprehensive, systematic evaluation of everything that's out there. But they are the best amongst what I've found so far, and ones that I refer to regularly. Again, they are generally less well-known than the marquee sites.
- None of these blogs (to my knowledge) are computer-created "link-blogs"...i.e., blogs that take news feeds from a multitude of sources and aggregate them under a specific interest category. I believe most of them have human editors that add a little bit of their personality to each site. It makes them a bit more interesting.
- I'll regularly change/add/remove names from this list, but will keep them to ten.
- They can be accessed off a blog-roll on the main page on the site, under the title "Top Ten Info-Blogs".
- Again, all of these names appeal to specific interests of mine, so they are not necessarily of appeal to all mainstream tastes. Hopefully, you'll discover a couple that you like and don't know about.
With that being said, here are my top ten info blogs, again, IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:
- Digital Camera Review: A great site for all things digital camera related, with the latest news, comprehensive reviews across most brands and categories, and links to other resources on the web. A long-time favorite of mine.
- Camcorderinfo.com: Similar to the one above, but focuses on camcorders.
- TechDigest: One to go to after you've been to Gizmodo and Engadget, but still need more for your daily gadget fix.
- PhoneScoop: As the name suggests, everything you need to keep up with the world of wireless and the latest cell phones.
- Wi-Fi Net News: This one is a bit more specialized and geeky than the others so far, in that it focuses on Wi-Fi related news, but it's a critical area of technology to keep up on, and this is a good place to start.
- ITFacts: Great site by ZDNet, with information technology related news and tid-bits from a plethora of sources. Great skim everyday.
- Thealarmclock: Cool daily source for news on new tech ventures of all shapes and sizes.
- SiliconValleyWatcher: Very focused source on Silicon Valley news, published by a collaborative team.
- I Want Media: Useful mix of media news and resources.
- New Scientist: Get your daily dose of science news here.
Again, it was tough, because there were info-blogs I like in so many other areas, but wanted to hew to top ten limit.
In particular, I like the newly launched blogs by BusinessWeek, with count them, SEVEN blogs covering areas ranging from blogging to tech and deals to advertising to personal finance to real estate to economic matters. It'd be helpful if they had an "uber-blog" stream in addition to the individual blogs to help get it all in one stream. Then I'd have only one new "info-blog" to add to this list instead of seven! But which one would I have to drop?
Hope you find them useful.
<div class="tag_list">Tags: <a href="http://www.technorati.com/tag/10Blogs" rel="tag">10Blogs</a></div>